US soldiers of the 40th Field Artillery 5th Division, 13 March 1944.The buildings in the above picture would have been to the right of a broad concrete path which winds from the main Kilkeel to Rostrevor Road. This path is an obvious sign of American presence in the area as it was constructed by US Military personnel. Below is a plan of the Mourne Park Camp which was supplied by Mrs Annley who still lives in and owns part of Mourne Park.
- When going through the gates of Mourne Park two buildings are visible which were reportedly a guard room and a cinema for the troops based there.
- Troops began to arrive in 1942, the first being the 2nd Battalion 6th Armoured Infantry and the 16th Armoured Engineer Battalion of the 1st Armoured Division.
- In October 1943 the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery 5th Infantry Division Artillery and 19th Field Artillery (5th Infantry Division) - equipped with 105mm towed howitzers arrived. Also did the 46th and 50th Field Artillery Battalions (5th Infantry Division) who were also equipped with 105mm towed howitzers.